Are you looking for the best camping fridge freezer? This guide is here to help.
A camping fridge is a portable refrigerator that can keep your food and drinks cold while you’re out in the wilderness. It’s an essential piece of gear for any camping trip, especially if you’re planning to stay for more than a day. With so many options available on the market, it can be challenging to choose the right one for your needs.
From the best 12 volt refrigerator freezer to one that can run on a solar panel (read about the best solar panels for camping here), we can help you find the right fridge freezer for your camping trips – or to discover one from a previously unknown brand.
We spent hours researching camping fridges to identify the ones that are the most efficient, durable, and easy to use. We then took all the best ones on camping trips to test them out so you can benefit from our experience.
In this guide, we’ll share our top picks for the best camping fridge and what makes them stand out from the rest. Whether you’re planning a weekend camping trip or a long-term adventure, we’ve got you covered.
No time to read about best camping fridge? Pin It and save it for later:
Please note this post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission, at zero cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. Please see our full Disclosure for more information. If you have any questions, please contact me.
See the Best Portable Fridge for Camping here
Our pick for the best camping refrigerator freezer overall is the ARB camping fridge freezer. Available in various sizes, this top quality item is built to last.
Why buy the ARB 10802442?
This is the best 12 volt fridge freezer we’ve found. There’s a choice of 5 sizes, and it comes from a highly sought after brand. It’s super tough and can hold even a number of tall containers like bottles with ease. There is even a USB port and bluetooth built in.
Best Portable Mini Fridge for Camping Comparison Guide
This handy table will help you to compare all mini roller fridge options. See at a glance which might be the best portable camping freezer and fridge for you.
If you are reading this on a mobile device, you might need to swipe to scroll across.
|Name||Image||Power Source||Capacity||Our Rating (/10)||Price|
|ARB 10802442||AC/DC||36-101 Quarts||10.0||CHECK NOW|
|LiON X50A||AC/DC, solar panel||32 - 52 Quarts||9.6||CHECK NOW|
|Whynter FMC-350XP||AC/DC||34 Quarts||9.8||CHECK NOW|
|Setpower 42Q||AC/DC||42 Quarts||9.2||CHECK NOW|
|Euhomy 59Q||AC/DC||59 Quarts||9.5||CHECK NOW|
|Dometic CFX3||AC/DC||27 Quarts||9.9||CHECK NOW|
|Alpicool C15||AC/DC||16 Quarts||9.2||CHECK NOW|
|Engel MR040F-U1||AC/DC||40 Quarts||9.7||CHECK NOW|
|AstroAl 16Q||AC/DC||16 Quarts||9.3||CHECK NOW|
|Costway 53Q||AC/DC||16 Quarts||9.4||CHECK NOW|
The Best Fridge Freezer for Camping Recommendations
If you’re looking for a reliable and efficient camping fridge, the ARB 10802442 Smart Portable Refrigerator Freezer is a great choice.
- The capacity of 65 x 375ml cans is perfect for a weekend camping trip with friends or family.
- The wireless monitoring and control via compatible Bluetooth-enabled devices makes it easy to adjust the temperature and settings from your phone.
- The tough, durable steel outer casing and recessed carry handles with integrated tie-down points make it easy to transport and secure in your vehicle.
- It cools down really quickly.
- The removable divider gives flexibility.
- Good power consumption, so it lasts a long time on a generator.
- The weight of 65 pounds makes it a bit heavy to carry around.
- The front opened quick-release lid with non-slip glass/bottle provision can be a bit difficult to open and close.
- The app isn’t that great (it’s adequate, though).
We took the ARB 10802442 Smart Portable Refrigerator Freezer Single Zone 47QT Zero Model on a camping trip and were impressed with its performance.
This ARB refrigerator freezer is good quality and comes in various sizes, from 36 to 101 quarts. It is a 12v camping fridge freezer with a super tough outer to cope with all conditions. The variable-speed compressor is highly efficient and kept our food and drinks perfectly chilled throughout the trip.
There is even a USB outlet so you can charge your phone, while bluetooth means it can also be controlled via portable devices.
The removable internal basket system provides versatility, and the product can accommodate even tall items like large bottles. It’s a nice feature that allowed us to easily organize our supplies.
Overall, we would definitely recommend the ARB 10802442 Smart Portable Refrigerator Freezer to anyone in the market for a high-quality camping fridge. It may be a bit pricier than some other options, but the durability and efficiency make it well worth the investment.
If you’re looking for a reliable and portable solar powered fridge for camping, the ACOPOWER & LiON Cooler 12V portable refrigerator freezer is a great option.
- The built-in lithium battery is removable and can be charged with a 90W foldable solar panel.
- With a capacity of 52 Quarts / 50 Liters /13.2 gallons, this powerful RV fridge can hold up to 62 cans of soda, 37 bottles of water, or 18 bottles of red wine.
- The portable cooler’s temperature and settings can be managed using the digital smart control panel or the free Bluetooth app.
- It has good energy efficiency and lots of charging options. It can be charged using a solar panel.
- It’s lightweight for its size.
- It’s more suited to longer camping trips where you’ll need the extra size
- We love that you can power it with solar, but the 90W foldable solar panel is not included. You can get it here.
We took the ACOPOWER & LiON Cooler 12V Portable Car Refrigerator on a recent camping trip, and we were impressed with its performance. The fridge is easy to transport, thanks to its big wheels and removable lid. With a telescopic handle and strong wheels, this travel refrigerator with freezer bears some resemblance to a wheeled suitcase.
With a capacity of 52 Quarts / 50 Liters /13.2 gallons, this powerful RV fridge can hold up to 62 cans of cola, 37 bottles of water, or 18 bottles of red wine. No ice is needed. It’s great for longer camping trips where you need the extra space.
One of the standout features of this fridge is its 173Wh built-in lithium battery, which is removable and can be charged with a 90W foldable solar panel (not included). One battery lasts about 10 hours at 0℃/32℉, making it easy to use this fridge in remote locations. Plus, the sound emitted by the 12V fridge is only 40 dB, providing a quiet and comfortable environment.
In addition to manual controls, the portable cooler’s temperature and settings can be managed using the digital smart control panel or the free Bluetooth app. This makes it easy to monitor and adjust the temperature of your food and drinks.
Overall, we highly recommend the ACOPOWER&LiONCooler 12V Portable Car Refrigerator for anyone in need of a reliable and portable camping fridge.
If you’re looking for a portable fridge/freezer for your camping trips or RV adventures, the FMC-350XP Whynter refrigerator and freezer is a great option to consider. It’s compact, easy to transport, and can operate on both AC and DC power sources.
- It gets really cold and the adjustable temperature range of -8°F to 50°F is great for keeping your food and drinks at the desired temperature. It holds the temperature you set well.
- The “Fast Freeze” mode is a convenient feature that rapidly cools the fridge/freezer to -8°F.
- The unit can be plugged in with both AC power and DC power at the same time, making it versatile and easy to use in different settings.
- It has good energy consumption.
- At 42 pounds, the fridge/freezer is quite heavy and may require two people to carry it.
- The power consumption of 70 watts may drain your battery quickly if you’re using it in a remote location without access to power.
We recently took the Whynter FMC-350XP on a camping trip and were impressed with its performance.
With a 34 quart capacity, the ‘fast freeze’ mode cools food quickly to -8°F. The clever controls on this small portable freezer and cooler mean it can be connected to both AC and DC power at once. It will then prioritize AC, but if this fails will switch to DC for its power supply.
There is a useful low power indicator, as well as removable baskets for organizing your fresh produce.
The LED temperature display made it easy to monitor the temperature, and the two removable wire baskets were convenient for organizing our food and drinks. We also appreciated the insulated lid and walls, which kept everything cold even in hot weather.
The stainless steel side handles made it easier to carry, and the non-slip rubber mat prevented drinks from spilling or sliding around during transport.
Overall, we would recommend the Whynter FMC-350XP to anyone in need of a portable fridge/freezer for their camping trips or road adventures. It’s well-built, efficient, and offers plenty of space for your food and drinks.
We highly recommend the Setpower Portable Freezer Fridge for anyone looking for a reliable camping fridge. This electric camping cooler from Setpower is compact, affordable, and practical.
- The fridge has great chilling performance with a compressor and adjustable temperature from 0℉ to 50℉. It gets really cold and keeps temperature well
- Tt stays in place even on bumpy roads, thanks to its 30-degree anti-tip design.
- It’s versatile and can be used at home and in the car. It comes with a 12-volt DC cable for the car cigar lighter socket and a 110V AC adapter for the household socket.
- The interior design is user-friendly, with a basket for easy loading and unloading of food, and a built-in LED light that is helpful for rummaging around in the fridge at night.
- It’s a bit heavy, making it difficult to move around.
We recently took the Setpower Portable Freezer Fridge on a camping trip and were impressed with its performance.
The fridge kept our food and drinks cold throughout the trip, and the adjustable temperature control allowed us to keep certain items frozen. We also appreciated the built-in LED light, which made it easy to find what we needed in the dark. To cap it all, an anti-tip design means that even bumpy roads are not a problem.
One of the standout features of this fridge is its dual operation mode. The Max mode is perfect for fast cooling, while the eco mode is great for energy-saving. This feature allowed us to use the fridge for longer periods without draining our car battery.
It can be used as a 12v portable fridge freezer, or powered via the mains. A compressor means it’s efficient.
Overall, the Setpower Portable Freezer Fridge is a great investment for anyone who loves camping and road trips. It’s reliable, versatile, and has a sleek design that looks great in any setting.
If you’re looking for a powerful and versatile camping fridge, the E EUHOMY Car Refrigerator is a great option. This Euhomy product is one of the best 12V fridge freezer models around.
- Dual storage areas and powerful capacity
- Good capacity/ size
- Gets cold quickly and stays that way
- Can be used as a fridge or freezer
- Low energy usage
- Smart battery protection and home/car dual-use
- Damping and handle design
- It’s a bit heavy to carry around.
- Bluetooth connection can be a bit finicky.
- There’s no drain hole at the bottom to let excess or spilled liquid out.
We recently took the E EUHOMY Car Refrigerator on a camping trip and were impressed with its performance. It is divided into 2 sections – a 45-liter freezer and a 10-liter fridge. The dual storage areas allowed us to keep our food and drinks separate and organized, while the powerful capacity meant we could store a variety of items without worrying about running out of space.
The smart battery protection and home/car dual-use made it easy to use the fridge both in our vehicle and at our campsite. We appreciated the three different battery protection functions, which helped prevent any issues with our car power supply.
The damping and handle design of the fridge made it easy to move around, even on uneven terrain. We also liked the LCD touch panel and Bluetooth connection, which allowed us to adjust the temperature and control the fridge from our phone.
Overall, we would recommend the E EUHOMY Car Refrigerator to anyone looking for a reliable and powerful camping fridge. While it is a bit heavy and pricey, the features and performance make it worth the investment.
If you’re looking for a reliable and sturdy camping fridge, the DOMETIC CFX3 25-Liter Portable Refrigerator and Freezer is a great option.
- The VMSO3 compressor technology allows for powerful cooling down to -7°F without the need for ice. It cools quickly and stays cool.
- The ExoFrame construction and aluminum alloy handles make it durable and easy to transport.
- The built-in 3-stage dynamic battery protection system prevents dead batteries and the ultra-low power consumption makes it energy efficient.
- Flexible options for fridge/ freezer.
- It’s very quiet.
- Modern technology includes WiFi connectivity and a USB port. However, the WIFI option did not seem to work properly when we tried it and the app was glitchy.
- We found that the top shelf part was about 3 degrees warmer than the bottom, so we had to place our more temperature-sensitive items on the bottom shelf.
- We had to use a bit of force to properly close the door.
We recently used this camping fridge on a weekend trip and were impressed with its performance. The VMSO3 compressor technology kept our food and drinks cold without the need for ice, and the durable construction made it easy to transport to our campsite. The built-in battery protection system was also a great feature, preventing our battery from dying.
There are several size options, so you can choose whether to prioritize space or size and weight. Removable baskets make the interior easy to organize, and you can see your way thanks to an LED light. This Dometic camping fridge has 2 compartments which can be set up as 2 fridges, 2 freezers or a fridge freezer as required.
Overall, if you’re in the market for a reliable and energy-efficient camping fridge, the DOMETIC CFX3 25-Liter Portable Refrigerator and Freezer is definitely worth considering.
If you’re looking for a reliable and compact camping fridge, the Alpicool C15 mini portable fridge freezer is a great option.
- The Alpicool C15 Portable Freezer is capable of deep chilling down to -4°F(-20°C) without ice, making it a great option for camping trips where you don’t want to worry about ice melting.
- With a 16 Quart (15 Liter) capacity, the Alpicool C15 Portable Freezer can fit up to 20 cans of cola, providing ample storage space for your camping essentials.
- The Alpicool C15 Portable Freezer features car battery protection with temperature memory function and 3 different levels for battery protection: Low, Med and High to protect your vehicle battery without run down.
- The Alpicool C15 Portable Freezer is made of strong plastic material, which makes it lightweight and easy to transport, but we did notice that the plastic material of the fridge seemed a bit flimsy compared to other camping fridges we’ve used in the past.
- While the reliable sealing property construction and thick and high Density Foam Insulation did a great job of keeping our food and drinks cool, we noticed that it used more energy than we expected.
- The Alpicool C15 Portable Freezer is a compact internal freezer that only has one door, which isn’t as convenient as camping fridges with multiple doors.
We recently took the Alpicool C15 Portable Freezer on a camping trip and were impressed with its deep chilling performance. A key feature of this battery powered mini fridge is that it has 3 levels of operation – low, medium or high. This can be used to preserve your vehicle’s battery power. The car battery protection feature gave us peace of mind while we were on the road.
Overall, we would recommend the Alpicool C15 Portable Freezer for anyone looking for a reliable and portable camping fridge with deep chilling capabilities and car battery protection.
Shaped like a cool box, it’s one of the top options for those seeking a small portable fridge freezer for camping. No ice is needed for freezing, either. This lightweight, durable mobile fridge can be taken just about anywhere.
We highly recommend the ENGEL MR040F-U1 Portable Tri-Voltage Fridge/Freezer for anyone looking for a reliable and quiet camping fridge.
- The super quiet and highly efficient Engel compressor makes this fridge a great choice for camping trips.
- The automatic voltage selection between AC and DC power with AC priority adds convenience and versatility.
- The variable temperature control and included wire basket make it easy to organize and keep your food and drinks at the desired temperature. It keeps temperature really well.
- The plastic outer case may not be as durable as other materials.
- The heavy-duty removable handles can be difficult to install.
- The power consumption can vary from 0.7-2.7 Amps (12V DC), which may be a concern for some users.
We recently took the ENGEL MR040F-U1 Portable Tri-Voltage Fridge/Freezer on a camping trip and loved how quiet it was.
Its compressor is highly efficient and whisper-quiet as well as highly vibration resistant , making it a great choice for camping in quiet environments.
This three-way fridge for camping features tri-voltage, and uses AC or DC power with AC being given priority. The automatic voltage selection between AC and DC power with AC priority also made it easy to use with different power sources.
We also appreciated the variable temperature control, which allowed us to keep our food and drinks at the desired temperature.
This 12 volt compressor refrigerator has a top opening and removable wire baskets to place inside for sorting. This made it easy to organize our items and keep them from shifting during travel.
Strong handles on each side also help to make this one of the best mini portable refrigerator cooler options on the market.
Overall, we highly recommend the ENGEL MR040F-U1 Portable Tri-Voltage Fridge/Freezer for anyone looking for a reliable and efficient camping fridge.
If you’re looking for a reliable and efficient camping fridge, the AstroAI Camping Fridge is a great option. This is designed as a car cooler, so it’s smaller, but also can plug into your car’s cigarette lighter. It’s therefore a very portable fridge cooler, but can also be used as a travel freezer.
- With its powerful compressor, the fridge can cool to 32°F at most in just 15 minutes, and can reach a low temperature of -4°F in about an hour.
- The fridge includes three power-saving levels, helping to maximize your car’s battery life.
- It’s easy to use.
- The operating temperature does not exceed 131℉, so it may not be suitable for extremely hot climates.
- The LED display is difficult to read in bright sunlight.
- The fridge is relatively heavy at 22 pounds, especially considering its size.
We recently used the AstroAI Camping Fridge on a camping trip, and it performed admirably. The fridge was easy to set up and use, and the LED display made it easy to monitor the temperature.
We were impressed with how quickly the fridge cooled down, and it was able to keep our food and drinks cold for the entire trip. The powerful compressor means it can cool to the lowest possible temperature in just an hour.
There are three battery protection levels to stop your vehicle’s battery from running too low, while a USB port means you can charge a smartphone from it.
Overall, we would definitely recommend the AstroAI Camping Fridge to anyone in the market for a reliable and efficient camping fridge.
If you’re looking for a portable and efficient camping fridge, the COSTWAY Car Refrigerator is a great choice. Its efficiency means it’s also kinder to the environment.
- With a large capacity of 55 quarts, this electric cooler can hold up to 84 bottles of 330ml beer, 60 bottles of 550ml water, and 19 bottles of 750ml wine.
- The multi-voltage system allows you to use it with a 12V/24V DC power source or a 100V~240V AC power source, making it convenient for both home and car use.
- The LCD display screen and digital buttons make it easy to adjust the temperature and compressor speed, and the internal LED lights allow for easy access in low light conditions.
- The insulation could be better, and the fridge may not maintain temperature as well as some other models.
- The motor can be a bit noisy, which may be an issue for some users.
- The plastic housing may not be as durable as some other camping fridges on the market.
In our experience, the COSTWAY Car Refrigerator is a great option for those looking for a portable and versatile camping fridge. The large capacity and multi-voltage system make it easy to use in a variety of settings. Capable of chilling up to 18 bottles of wine, this camping mini fridge produces a lower level of noise while operating.
There is a control panel so you can set the temperature and 3 modes mean you can protect your car battery. The shock-proof design also means it can ably cope with rugged or uneven terrain. Dual handles make it easy to transport and store.
The LCD display and digital buttons make it easy to adjust the temperature to your liking.
Overall, we would recommend this product to anyone looking for a reliable and efficient camping fridge.
Finding the Best Fridge Freezer for Camping: Buying Guide
When it comes to choosing the best camping fridge, there are a few important factors to consider. Here are some features to keep in mind:
Size and Capacity
The size and capacity of the fridge will depend on your needs and the number of people you’ll be camping with. Consider the size of your vehicle and the space you have available for the fridge. A larger fridge may be more convenient, but it will also take up more space and use more power. Make sure to choose a size that fits your needs without being too bulky.
Camping fridges can be powered by electricity, gas, or solar energy. Electric fridges are the most common and convenient, but they require a power source such as a car battery or a generator. Gas fridges are more reliable in remote areas, but they require a propane tank. Solar fridges are the most eco-friendly, but they are also the most expensive.
Temperature control is an important feature to consider when choosing a camping fridge. Look for a fridge that has a digital display and adjustable temperature settings. This will allow you to keep your food and drinks at the desired temperature and prevent them from spoiling.
Durability is also an important factor to consider when choosing a camping fridge. Look for a fridge that is made of high-quality materials and can withstand the rigors of camping. A fridge with a sturdy outer shell and strong handles will be more durable and easier to transport.
Additional features such as a built-in freezer, removable baskets, and interior lighting can also be helpful when choosing a camping fridge. These features can make it easier to organize your food and drinks and access them when you need them.
Camping Fridges – Frequently Asked Questions
How are camping fridges powered?
It’s important to choose a camping fridge that is compatible with the power source you have available.
Whether you think you’d like a propane camping fridge or a gas powered fridge for camping, are these options realistic? The simple answer is – you can run most camping refrigerators on 12 volt or mains power.
If you’re not at a campground hooked up to mains power, then you have a couple of options. One fridge listed here listed can be directly connected to a solar panel (click here to find the best solar panels), or can power your fridge by investing in a generator (click here to find the best generator for camping). As these run on various types of fuel, this gives you far more flexibility. In this way you can indeed use a gas powered camping fridge if you’d like to.
Do camping refrigerators have a freezer?
Yes, many camping refrigerators have a freezer compartment. However, the size and capacity of the freezer may vary depending on the model and brand. Some camping fridges have a separate freezer compartment, while others have a combined fridge and freezer.
All of the options listed here can run as portable fridges for camping – or as a small camping freezer. Some have separate compartments for both. A factor to bear in mind when making your camping fridge freezer comparison is how much storage you require for chilled and frozen food and drinks.
What are the top features to look for in a camping fridge?
When choosing a camping fridge, it’s important to consider its size, capacity, power source, insulation, and durability. Look for a camping fridge that is energy-efficient, easy to use, and has a low noise level. Some camping fridges also come with additional features such as a built-in battery monitor, adjustable temperature controls, and a removable basket.
How do I know what size camping fridge to get?
The size of the camping fridge you need depends on your camping needs and the number of people you’ll be camping with. Consider the length of your camping trip and the amount of food and drinks you’ll need to store.
A good rule of thumb is to choose a camping fridge with a capacity of at least 40-50 liters for a family of four.
What is the average lifespan of a camping fridge?
The lifespan of a camping fridge depends on its quality, usage, and maintenance. On average, a good quality camping fridge can last up to 10-15 years with proper care and maintenance.
Will an electric camping fridge drain my battery?
An electric camping fridge can drain your battery if it’s not properly managed. Various models have different modes so you can preserve battery life, or can be temperature controlled. It’s important to choose a camping fridge that is energy-efficient and has a low power consumption. You can also use a battery monitor to keep track of your battery’s power level. If you are concerned about this, a leisure battery is one option and investing in a power generator for camping is another.
Which is the best portable fridge freezer for you?
Whether you wanted to discover the best portable freezer for camping or require a battery powered fridge to cool your food and drinks, we hope this guide has helped you decide. The best electric coolers for camping can make so much difference to your trip, as they give you constant access to chilled drinks and frozen food. Cheers!
Do you have another pick for the best portable refrigerator for camping? I’d love to know what it is. Join my private Facebook group National Parks Collectors and comment and let me know.
If you found this review of the best fridge for camping helpful but are not quite ready to buy yet, Pin It so you can find it easily!
Read more travel product reviews
James Ian is a national park, camping and hiking expert.
He has dedicated his life to travel, visiting more than 80 countries, all 7 continents and all of the main national parks in the United States. With over 35 years experience in the travel industry, James has worked on cruise ships, at resorts and hotels, and as a travel planner who’s helped hundreds of people plan successful trips to US national parks.
Based on his experience visiting our national parks multiple times, in-depth research and expertise as a travel planner, James has published detailed itineraries for most of the major national parks in the US. These itineraries, as well as in-depth park guides, comprehensive camping and hiking gear reviews and buying guides, and helpful packing lists and gift guides will help you have your own incredible trip to US national parks without stress and hassle.
As a national park expert, James has contributed to many publications, including Time Business News, Savoteur, Best Trip, and Wired.
Parks Collecting is a participant in the Amazon.com Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.