The North Cascades mountain range is often called The American Alps. It is a stunning line of snow-capped peaks with brightly colored alpine lakes and dramatic wooded slopes running along the US/ Canadian border.
The national park is the least visited of Washington’s three national parks, but don’t let that make you decide not to visit. It’s stunning!
North Cascades National Park Travel Guide
North Cascades National Park at a glance
- State: Washington
- Main attractions: Mountains, lakes
- Best time to go: Late spring to early fall
- Fun Facts:
- There are four sections to North Cascades National Park Complex. Most people stick to the Ross Lake National Recreational Area and Highway 20 that runs along it.
- There is an active hydro electric scheme in this section of the park (predating the national park). The dramatic Diablo Lake is actually formed by a dam.
- The small village of Stehekin in the Chelan Lake National Recreational Area can only be reached by boat and sea plane.
- The two most popular areas in Glacier National Park are the appropriately named Sunrise and Paradise.
North Cascades National Park Guide
Navigate this North Cascades National Park guide by clicking on the articles below to read in-depth information about each aspect of North Cascades National Park.
Best Tours of Washington & Seattle
To save this guide to North Cascades National Park for later, Pin It to your National Parks board:
James Ian is a national park, camping and hiking expert.
He has dedicated his life to travel, visiting more than 80 countries, all 7 continents and all of the main national parks in the United States. With over 35 years experience in the travel industry, James has worked on cruise ships, at resorts and hotels, and as a travel planner who’s helped hundreds of people plan successful trips to US national parks.
Based on his experience visiting our national parks multiple times, in-depth research and expertise as a travel planner, James has published detailed itineraries for most of the major national parks in the US. These itineraries, as well as in-depth park guides, comprehensive camping and hiking gear reviews and buying guides, and helpful packing lists and gift guides will help you have your own incredible trip to US national parks without stress and hassle.
As a national park expert, James has contributed to many publications, including Time Business News, Savoteur, Best Trip, and Wired.