On a clear day, Mount Rainier is hard to miss. You can see the stunning, snow-capped peak easily from nearby Seattle and the entire surrounding area.
The national park is famous not only for the beautiful mountain that lies at its center, but also the the meadows of wildflowers that burst into bloom in late spring. There are dozens of hiking trails, and plenty of viewpoints to soak in the beauty of this area. At lower levels, there are old growth forests with towering trees, beautiful lakes and stunning waterfalls.
Mount Rainier National Park Travel Guide
Mount Rainier National Park at a glance
- State: Washington
- Main attractions: Mountain Views, wildflowers, waterfalls
- Best time to go: Late spring to early fall
- Fun Facts:
- Mount Rainier was named in 1972 by Captain George Vancouver after his friend Peter Rainier.
- Mount Rainier was the fifth national park in the United States. It was established in 1899.
- Mount Rainier is not only the highest peak in Washington, it is the most glaciated peak in the contiguous United States. There are a total of 25 named glaciers cascading down its slopes.
- The two most popular areas in Glacier National Park are the appropriately named Sunrise and Paradise.
Mount Rainier National Park Guide
Navigate this Mount Rainier National Park guide by clicking on the articles below to read in-depth information about each aspect of Mount Rainier National Park.
Best Tours of Mount Rainier National Park & Seattle
To save this guide to Mount Rainier National Park for later, Pin It to your National Parks board:
James Ian is a national park, camping and hiking expert.
He has dedicated his life to travel, visiting more than 80 countries, all 7 continents and all of the main national parks in the United States. With over 35 years experience in the travel industry, James has worked on cruise ships, at resorts and hotels, and as a travel planner who’s helped hundreds of people plan successful trips to US national parks.
Based on his experience visiting our national parks multiple times, in-depth research and expertise as a travel planner, James has published detailed itineraries for most of the major national parks in the US. These itineraries, as well as in-depth park guides, comprehensive camping and hiking gear reviews and buying guides, and helpful packing lists and gift guides will help you have your own incredible trip to US national parks without stress and hassle.
As a national park expert, James has contributed to many publications, including Time Business News, Savoteur, Best Trip, and Wired.